Lecture: Review -- integrating ideas and data globally
Updated: 18 February, 2009
- Video -- A Vision of Students Today, Kansas State University
- Emerging technologies
- Diagnostic testing
- Genomics: personal genome, risk assessment
- Internet: reporting, diagnosis, teaching, mapping, ...
- Database integration and mining
Caveat: Ethics of big sister versus big brother; health insurance, employment, ...
- Medical automation
- Communication; team work; rapid detection -> rapid response
- Information: vast quantities; up-to-date; rapid access; free to world; questionable quality;
FILTER DATA AND IDEAS -- THINK BEFORE USING!!!
5 Minutes University
So what will you remember?
- Rate versus standing crop
- Cause versus effect -- Is it a scientific experiment or a correlation?
- How to design an experiment to test a hypothesis?
- Control + experimental treatment(s)
- Test results statistically
- Question assumptions -- What are the hidden ones?
- Reproductive success -- measured in the number of surviving offspring in future generationS
- Units of selection
- The Selfish Gene
- Group selection fallacy
- Kin selection
- Evolution -- changes in gene frequencies (Hardy-Weinberg Principle)
- Limits to growth -- exponential versus logistic growth -- birth versus death rates
- Reality is more complex than models -- add complexity -- age structure, ... -- still very, very difficult to predict the future
- Climate change -- or not? Science versus politics, economics, ...
- Overcoming the Tragedy of the Commons -- the challenge to your and future generations
- Instructor evaluations