Teach students how to:
Measure height and diameter of trees.
1. Tape measurer.
2. Clinometer (built by students):
SAFETY: PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH ANY KIND
OF PLANT THAT YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT IT. POISON IVY MAY BE
PRESENT IN THIS AREA AND MANY PEOPLE ARE ALLERGIC TO IT. THE
TERRAIN IS NOT LEVEL, SO BE CAREFUL TO AVOID INJURIES.
1. Build a clinometer see directions in attached page from Project Learning Tree.
2. Measure the height of the trees marked in your plot using your clinometer.(see attached information from Project Learning Tree.)
3. measure the diameter of the trees marked in your plot, this measurement should be done at breast height (DBH). Circumference in inches divided by 3.14 = diameter in inches (see PLT).
4. Check the Identification of the trees within your plot.
5. Write data on table.
|Discover Life | Education | Training Guides and Protocols | Measuring Trees|