Minutes -- May 15 Meeting
Discover Life in America
1999 DLIA Board Meeting
Minutes of May 15, 1999
North Carolina Arboretum- Asheville, NC
The Board meeting of Discover Life in America was convened at 10:45 A.M.,
May 15, 1999.
Keith Langdon, Becky Nichols, Chuck Parker, Karen Ballentine, Luciana
Musetti, Edgar Asebey, Jody Flemming
Irven DeVore, George Stuart, Boyd Evison, Charles Maynard, Mike Sharkey
- Tom Kiernan moved to approve the minutes of the December 18, 1998 DLIA Board
meeting, and was seconded by Frank Harris. The motion was unanimously
- George Briggs introduced a motion to appoint a Strategic Planning Task Force
made up of five(5) people, with the goal of building a long-range,
comprehensive strategic plan for DLIA. The Task Force would obtain the
services of a professional facilitator to lead work on the plan and will
meet within sixty(60) days of May 15, 1999. Frank Harris seconded the
- Peter White proposed an amendment charging the Task Force to complete the
Strategic Plan in time to present it at the December 1999 Board meeting.
- George Briggs called for a vote on the motion and amendment, both were
- Tom Kiernan introduced changes to the DLIA Bylaws which would re-organize
the structure of the Board. The new structure would consist of one DLIA
Board Chair, responsible for the effective functioning of the Board. The
Chair will ensure that the Board completes its duties of 1)Setting policies
for DLIA, 2)Hiring and managing the Chief Executive and 3) Ensuring the
fiscal health of DLIA (which includes assisting in the fundraising. There
will be two vice-chairs who will assist the chair and fill in when the Chair
- George Briggs moved to accept the amended Bylaw changes and the motion
- Mary Williams introduced a packet of draft documents from Attourney G. Mark
Mamantov including a Charter for DLIA, Bylaws and initial consent minutes.
Board members were asked to review the packet and contact Jody Flemming by
June 1st with any changes.
- Keith Langdon asked for comments on what should be in the MOU between the
NPS and DLIA.
- Frank Harris' motion to send information on new Board nominees to the
Nominating Committee was approved.
- David Scanlon presented a current financial statement for DLIA and
guidelines for how NHA will match funds raised by DLIA. The Finance
Committee was asked to develop a policy for determining which grants to
submit to NHA for matching funds.
- Mary Williams also initiated a DLIA Board Leadership Campaign, requesting
that each member make a donation commensurate with his/her financial
- Frank Harris submitted a draft DLIA budget for Board review and comment..
- George Briggs moved to adopt the document as the tentative DLIA budget and
to send it to the Structural Planning Task Force for review and inclusion in
the DLIA Structural Plan. The motion was approved unanimously.
- Keith Langdon led a discussion of the idea of selling naming rights as a
means of raising money for DLIA. A Task Force consisting of Mike Sharkey,
Keith Langdon, John Morse, Peter Alden and Mary Williams was asked to
develop a policy on naming rights to new species.
- John Pickering reported on the Integrated Science for Ecological Chellenges
program and possible DLIA involvement. The Board formed a Task Force
consisting of Peter White, Keith Langdon and John Pickering to explore the
- Rex Lowe expressed the need for taxonomists to be involved in the structural
planning process and kept informed about ATBI happenings. He also
presented the findings from the Algal Foray, including 58 new park records.
- Becky Nichols gave an update on the specimen processing and sorting center.
The center will be staffed by Tina Wang, an intern who will work on a DLIA
collection management policy and perform some sorting duties.
- Susan Riechert has formed a team including Glenn Bogart, Karen Ballentine,
Chris Stein and herself to develop an education plan for the December
- The Board decided to scale back the December meeting, limiting attendees to
the Board, a facilitator and a few key taxonomists and active TWGs. The
meeting will last for 2 days.
- The Board approved the following expendatures:
- $5,000 for the December meeting
- Continued funding for Chief Administrative Officer and Webmaster salaries
- $2,400/yr to CAO for health insurance coverage
- $2,000 for incidental expenses
- $20,000 for research grants as matching funds come available