GUSTAV PAULAY, Ph.D
Florida Museum of Natural History
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-7800
Phone: (352) 392-1721 x476
Fax: (352) 846-0287
Born 13 May 1957, in Budapest, Hungary. Research interests focus on: Biodiversity, biogeography, and evolution of tropical
marine invertebrates, especially in the Indo-west Pacific; biology and geology of coral reefs; systematics of corals,
bivalves, and holothuroids; origin and diversification of the terrestrial and marine Pacific insular biota.
- B.S. Biology, 1979, Yale University, magna cum laude, with distinction in biology
- Ph.D. Zoology, 1988, University of Washington
Dissertation: The effects of glacioeustatic sea level fluctuations and local tectonics on the marine fauna
of Central Pacific islands. (Advisor: Dr. Alan J. Kohn)
Postdoctoral advisor: Dr. Thomas R. Waller (Smithsonian Institution)
GRANTS AND CONTRACTS
- 2007- University of Florida Foundation Research Professor
- 2006- Curator, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida
- 2003-06 Associate Curator, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida
- 2000-03 Assistant Curator, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida
- 1997-00 Director, Marine Laboratory, University of Guam
- 1996-00 Associate Professor, Marine Laboratory, University of Guam
- 1991-96 Assistant Professor, Marine Laboratory, University of Guam
- 1990-91 Postdoctoral Fellow, Smithsonian Institution
- 1989 Visiting Lecturer, Dept. of Biology, University of North Carolina
- 1988-89 Lecturer, Friday Harbor Laboratories, University of Washington
- 1988 Consultant, Energy Resources Inc., on site in American Samoa
- 1981-88 Research Assistant, Dept. of Zoology, University of Washington
- 1980-87 Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Zoology and Friday Harbor Laboratories, University of Washington
- 1978-79 Research Assistant, Dept. of Biology, Yale University
- 2007-10 Agence Nationale de la Recherche (France): "The Southwest Indian Ocean biodiversity hotspot: a
biota-level study of diversification on land and sea" H. Bruggemann PI ?727488
- 2006 Florida Institute of Oceanography: "3 Days of RV Bellows Shiptime." $7,500
- 2006 Developing an online photographic resource for the identification of coral reef invertebrates.
FLMNH Museum Associates $3,942
- 2005-10 NSF - PEET: "Sea cucumbers on coral reefs: systematics of aspidochirotid holothurians."
GP PI, A. Kerr, coPI. $749,360
- 2005-08 Fund for French-American Academic Partnerships: "Ocean bridges: A Florida-France training
and research cooperative in coral reef conservation and biodiversity." C. Osenberg PI, C. St. Mary & GP coPIs. $99,000
- 2005-08 Sultan Qaboos University: "Marine biodiversity survey of Oman" M. Claereboudt PI, GP coPI. $27,300
- 2004 Florida Institute of Oceanography: "4 Days of RV Bellows Shiptime." $6,600
- 2004 Dept. of Interior, through University of Guam: "Development of web site and CD-ROM documenting
the marine biota of Guam and the Marianas in checklist and photographic formats." $35,000
- 2003 Florida Institute of Oceanography: "4 Days of RV Bellows Shiptime." $8,800
- 2003-06 NSF - Biotic Systems & Resources: "Computerization of newly acquired tropical and subtropical mollusk
collections at the Florida Museum of Natural History." GP PI, Fred Thompson CoPI. $224,383
- 2002-06 NSF - Biological Oceanography: "Species complexes in the sea: model systems for studying the biodiversity
and evolutionary history of the Indo-West Pacific reef biota." $342,099
- 2002-03 NOAA - National Coral Reef Institute: "The hidden world of coral reefs: assessing the biodiversity and
endemism of the reef cryptofauna." $25,000
- 2001-02 UF Research Opportunity Fund: "Species complexes in the sea: model systems for studying the evolutionary
and distributional history of the Indo-West Pacific marine biota." $47,000
- 2000-01 Marine biodiversity survey and monitoring of Double Reef to Haputo coast. US DOD; $51,000
- 1999-00 Marine biodiversity survey and monitoring of southern Orote Peninsula coast. US DOD; $130,499
- 1999-00 National Fish and Wildlife Foundation: "Coral recruitment on Guam". coPI w/ C.E. Birkeland, $8,000
- 1999-00 NIH: "Minority biomedical research program supplemental grants for communications technology at the
MBRS-supported institutions" V.J. Paul PI, GP Project coordinator (wrote proposal) $62,451
- 1998-02 NSF - Systematics: "Patterns and processes of marine speciation: a case study of Indo-West Pacific cowries" $160,000
- 1998-00 Sea Grant: "Survey of introduced marine invertebrates on Guam" GP PI, B.D. Smith coPI, $116,000
- 1997-98 National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. #97-115-013. "Coral recruitment on Guam". coPI w/ C.E. Birkeland, $6,000
- 1996-98 DOD, Legacy Resource Management Program: "Guide to marine invertebrate biodiversity of Guam, with
focus on Apra Harbor." $84,073
- 1996 Potential environmental impacts from marine disposal of PWC Power Barge YFP-14; for GMP Associates, Inc.
GP PI, S. Amesbury & G. Denton coPIs: $16,000
- 1996 Reef monitoring surveys and evaluate reef health at Aitutaki, Cook Islands; for Cook Islands Conservation
Service, through Dialogue Inc., New Zealand; at cost
- 1995-96 Insular Pacific Marine Research Program: "Baseline biodiversity assessment of natural harbors in Guam
and Hawaii" coPI w/ Lu Eldredge, $24,905
- 1994-97 Monitoring effects of thermal effluent discharge from Piti Powerplant, Guam; for Guam Power Authority,
through R.W. Beck & Associates; GP PI, R. Richmond coPI $234,062
- 1994-95 Baseline reef surveys at proposed site of swim-through aquarium, for Aecos Inc., Hawaii; GP PI, S. Amesbury coPI; $17,753
- 1994 Set up reef monitoring surveys and evaluate reef health at Aitutaki, Cook Islands; for Cook Islands
Conservation Service, through Dialogue Inc., New Zealand, at cost
- 1993-94 NSF - Biological Oceanography, SGER program: "Effects of an 8.1 earthquake to coral communities and reef
structure on Guam, Mariana Islands." $14,359
- 1993 Reef geomorphological survey for telephone cable path, Guam; for AT&T, $500
- 1992-95 NSF - Research Careers for Minority Scholars program: "Enhancement of scientific career opportunities of
American Pacific islanders through a research and academic enrichment program at the University of Guam." J. Lacson,
PI, GP co-PI, $298,000
- 1992-94 USAID grant through BioSystems Analysis Inc.: "Management strategies for Tarawa lagoon, Kiribati", GP PI
for benthic surveys, one of seven parts of >$1,000,000 project.
- 1992 UOG Research Council: "Systematics and biogeography of Micronesian cave bivalves." $2500
- 1991 Conchologists of America Grant: "Revision and relationship of Proxichione and other Australian Venerinae" $750
- 1990-91 Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellowship. "Pacific bivalve biogeography: a mosaic of historical and ecological factors." $21,000
- 1990-91 National Geographic Society Research Grant: "Environmental history and faunal change on Niue Island": $14,850
- 1990 Delaware Museum of Natural History Trustees Award: "Revision of Chamidae and Periglypta" $500
- 1988 Reef surveys for proposed harbor, Leone, American Samoa; for Environmental Quality Commission, Territory of
American Samoa, through Energy Resources International, Inc., $1,000
- 1987 Smithsonian Institution Expedition Grant: Support for Smithsonian-Royal Society Expedition to Henderson Island. $6,691
- 1985-87 NSF Dissertation Improvement Grant: "The effects of sea level changes and tectonics on the biogeography of
oceanic island faunas"; $6,600
- 1985 Hawaiian Malacological Society Scholarship. Support for fieldwork in the Cook Islands and Niue; $1,000
- 1985 Lerner Grey Fund for Marine Research: "The effects of sea level changes and tectonics on the biogeography of oceanic
island faunas"; $600
- 1985 Smithsonian Short Term Visitor Award: Support for taxonomic research on Indo-Pacific corals and bivalves; $1,900
- 1984 Hawaiian Malacological Society Scholarship: Support for field work in the Cook Islands; $1,160
- 1979 J.C. Murray Fellowship, Yale University. Support for field work on Rapa Island, French Polynesia; $4,500
- 2007-09 University of Florida Research Foundation Professor
- 2000 Resolution 363 of the I Liheslaturan Guåhan (Legislature of Guam, Government of Guam), adopted 23
June, 2000: "Relative to commending and congratulating Dr. Gustav Paulay, Director of Guam Marine Laboratory,
for over nine years of outstanding service at the University of Guam and the academic community throughout the Pacific."
- 2000 Distinguished Service Award for "Outstanding performance as Director, Marine Lab", University of Guam
- 2000 Nominated to "Ancient Order of Chamorri", by Madeleine Bordallo, Lieutenant Governor of Guam
- 1991 Best Paper Award for 1990, International Society for Reef Studies (for Paulay & McEdward, 1990)
- 1980-81 Annual Fund Fellowships, University of Washington
- 1979 William R. Belknap Prize for excellence in biology, Yale University
University of Florida, Dept. of Zoology, 2001-
Evolution (PCB 4674)
University of Guam, Marine Laboratory, 1992-2000
Integrative Principles (ZOO 6927)
Invertebrate Zoology (ZOO 2203C)
Advanced Invertebrate Zoology (ZOO 6927)
Informal seminars on topics of evolution, biogeography, and invertebrates
Marine Biology (BI 103)
Univ. of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), Dept. of Biology, Visiting Lecturer, 1989
Advances in Ecology (BI 505)
Evolutionary Biology (BI 594)
Assessment and Management of Coral Reefs (BI 551)
Graduate Seminar on "Evolution and biogeography of marine organisms in the tropical Indo-Pacific" (BI 691)
Graduate Seminar on "Evolution and escalation" (BI 691)
Coral Taxonomy (informal)
Introduction to the Invertebrates (Biol 105)
Univ. of Washington, Friday Harbor Labs., Lecturer, 1988-89
Marine Zoology (Zool 430)
Univ. of Washington, Dept. of Zoology (DZ) and Friday Harbor Labs. (FHL), Teaching Assistant
Marine Invertebrate Zoology (Zool 432)
Invertebrate Zoology (Zool 433, 434 - DZ)
Postdoctoral fellows advised - University of Guam / University of Florida
Invertebrate Paleobiology (Zool 533 - FHL)
Marine Invertebrate Zoology (Zool 432 - FHL)
Natural History of Marine Invertebrates (Zool 330 - DZ)
Marine Zoology (Zool 430 - FHL)
Comparative Anatomy of Chordates (Zool 453 - DZ)
Graduate students advised - University of Florida
- Christopher Meyer, 1998-2005
- Hung-Chang Liu, 2004-2006
Graduate student committee participation - University of Florida
- Jonathan Cowart (advisor, M.S. awarded 2002: "The mating system of the sea star Pteraster tesselatus
- Ives 1888 (Echinodermata: Asteroidea): Hermaphroditism, parthenogenesis or sperm storage?"), Zoology
- Lisa Kirkendale (advisor, Ph.D. awarded 2005: "Evolution of photosymbiosis in marine bivalves
(Cardiidae: Fraginae"), Zoology
- Machel Malay (advisor, Ph.D. student), Zoology
- François Michonneau (advisor, Ph.D. student), Zoology
- Christian McKeon (advisor, Ph.D. student), Zoology
- Luiz Rocha (co-advisor, Ph.D. awarded 2003: "Ecology, the Amazon barrier, and speciation in Western Atlantic
- Halichoeres (Labridae)"), Fisheries
- John Slapcinsky (advisor, Ph.D. student), Zoology
- John Starmer (advisor, Ph.D. student), Zoology
Graduate students advised - University of Guam
- Josh Clayton (Ph.D. Committee), Botany
- Lisa Crummett (Ph.D. Committee), Zoology
- John Fayans (M.S. Committee), Fisheries
- Andreas Heyland (Ph.D. Committee), Zoology, Ph.D. awarded 2004
- Shusheng Hu (Ph.D. Committee), Geology, Ph.D. awarded 2006
- Jeremy Kirchman (Ph.D. Committee), Zoology, Ph.D. awarded 2006
- Cecelia Miles (Ph.D. Committee), Zoology, Ph.D. awarded 2006
- Ben Miner (Ph.D. Committee), Zoology, Ph.D. awarded 2003
- Adam Reitzel (M.S. Committee), Zoology, M.S. awarded 2002
Graduate student M.S. committee participation - University of Guam
- Scott Bauman (advisor, M.S. awarded 1996: "Diversity and decline of land snails on Rota, Mariana Islands")
- Lisa Kirkendale (advisor, M.S. awarded 2000: "The Patelloida profunda group: Phylogenetics, biogeography,
morphology and molecular evolution among a widespread, closely-related group of limpets (Gastropoda: Lottiidae))
- Arlene Pangelinan (advisor, M.S. awarded 1997: "Demography and life history study of the orangeblack damselfly,
Megalagrion xanthomelas (Selys-Longchamp) (Odonata)")
- Sara Persselin (advisor, M.S. awarded 1998: "The evolution of shells windows within the Fraginae (Bivalvia:
Cardiidae) and the origin of algal symbiosis in cardiids")
- Peter Peshut (advisor, M.S. awarded 2000: "Diversity of the tropical marine benthos: bivalves of coral reef
and newar reef habitats")
- Linda Ward (advisor, M.S. awarded 1998: "Octopus brachiotomus sp. nov. (Cephalopoda: Octopodidae), a new
shallow-water, arm-autotomizing octopus from Guam; arm autotomy in Octopus brachiotomus from Guam")
- Jason Biggs (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 2000
- Cathy Dayton (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1994
- Bridgette Davidson (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1993
- Richard DeLoughery (M.S. Committee)
- Yimnang Golbuu (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1996
- Peter Houk (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1999
- Alexander Kerr (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1994
- Trina Leberer (M.S. Committee). M.S. awarded 1997
- Sarah Leota (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 2000
- Priscilla Martinez (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1994
- Melany Puglisi (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1995
- Fernando Rivera (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 1994
- George Roos (M.S. Committee)
- Erican Santiago (M.S. Committee)
- John Starmer (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 2000
- Danko Taborosi (M.S. Committee), M.S. awarded 2000
- 2006 French Frigate Shoals, Hawaiian Islands: Census of Coral Reefs Survey
- 2006 Moorea, Society Islands: BioCode marine biodiversity survey
- 2006 Hawaiian Islands: marine invertebrate sampling
- 2005 Line Islands: marine biodiversity survey
- 2005 Oman: marine biodiversity survey
- 2004 Reunion: invertebrate sampling
- 2004 Oman: marine biodiversity survey
- 2004 Okinawa: invertebrate sampling
- 2003 Guam: survey of reef cryptobiota and corals
- 2003 Palau: coral faunal survey
- 2003 Taiwan: biodiversity sampling
- 2001 French Polynesia: biodiversity surveys
- 2001 Panama: biodiversity sampling
- 2000 Taiwan: biodiversity surveys
- 2000 Yap, FSM: biodiversity surveys
- 1999 Sultanate of Oman: Masirah Island: Ardoukoba Expedition
- 1999 Indonesia: Togian Islands: Tethyana Expedition
- 1999 Palau: coral bleaching and mortality surveys
- 1999 Galapagos Ids.: biodiversity surveys
- 1999 New Caledonia: faunal survey and sampling
- 1998 Louisiades Ids., Papua New Guinea: biodiversity surveys
- 1997 Hawaiian & Marshall Ids.: cave bivalves surveys
- 1997 Pohnpei Id.: marine invertebrate faunal survey
- 1996 Fiji, Tonga, Society Ids: cave bivalves surveys
- 1996 Palau: reef surveys
- 1996 Cook Ids: reef monitoring survey
- 1994 Cook Ids: reef monitoring survey
- 1993 Kosrae Id: weevil faunal survey
- 1992-3 Majuro Id: coral bleaching surveys
- 1992-4 Kiribati: benthic surveys and shellfish management
- 1991 Niue Id: geomorphology, sea level history and faunal change in corals and mollusks
- 1988-89 Fiji: ecological biogeography of bivalves
- 1988 American Samoa: reef surveys for environmental assessment
- 1987 Marquesas Ids.: weevil faunal survey
- 1987 Pitcairn Ids (Smithsonian & Royal Society Expedition): recent and fossil marine invertebrates, geomorphology
- 1986 Niue and Cook Ids: effects of Quaternary sea level fluctuations on marine fauna and reef structure
- 1985 Fiji: recent and fossil molluscs
- 1984 Cook Ids: effects of Quaternary sea level fluctuations on marine fauna
- 1983 Society Islands: weevil faunal survey
- 1982-83 Cook and Austral Ids: effects of Quaternary sea level fluctuations on marine fauna; faunal surveys
- 1982 Oahu, Hawaiian Ids: paleoecology and mollusc fauna of Waimanalo Formation
- 1980 Marquesas Ids: weevil faunal survey
- 1979-80 Rapa Id.: weevil faunal survey
American Society of Zoologists / Society of Integrative and Comparative Biology 1984-2005
Ad hoc Committee on Declining Biodiversity, 1990-1
American Malacological Society, 1993-
Education Committee, Science as a Way of Knowing, 1991-2
Best Student Paper Award Committee, 1989
Libbie Hyman Memorial Scholarship Committee, 1994, 1995, 1996
Council Member, 2001-2004
Bishop Museum, Honolulu, Hawaii; Research Associate, 1987-
Organizer: symposium on "Island Biogeography of Mollusks", 1995 meetings
Organizer: symposium on "Biodiversity and diversification in the Indo-West Pacific", 2004 meetings
Co-organizer "Global Marine Bivalve Database Workshop", 2004 meetings
University of Florida
Chair, FLMNH Collections & Space Committee, 2004-
Hawaiian Entomological Society, Editorial Board, 1995-
Chair, FLMNH Strategic Planning Committee (Collections & Research), 2002-2003
Chair, Systematic Mammalogist Search Committee, 2002
Dept. of Zoology Executive Committee, 2001-4
FLMNH Strategic Planning Committee, 2001
FLMNH R. Jerry Britt Award Committee, 2001
FLMNH Shared Governance Task Force Committee, 2007
UF Diving Safety Board, 2001-
International Society for Reef Studies, 1987-
7th International Symposium on Coral Reefs, Editorial Board, 1992Organizer: symposium on "Biodiversity and diversification in the Indo-West Pacific", 2004 meetings
Invertebrate Biology, Editorial Board, 2004-2007
Micronesica: Insects of Micronesia, Editorial Board, 1994-
National Museum of Natural History, CCRE Steering Committee, 1990
Research Associate, 2004-
National Science Foundation, Systematics Panel, 2002, 2004, 2005
The Nautilus, Consulting Editor, 1991-
Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce, Steering Committee, 2002-
Systematics Agenda 2000 - Biogeography Committee 1991-2
Fisheries Committee, 1991-2
University of Guam
Accreditation Review Committee, Section 5, 1993-4
Acting Dean, Graduate School & Research, 1998
Ad-Hoc Committee on Catalog Standardization, 1992-3
Admininstrative Council, 1997-2000
Chair, Graduate Council, 1994-5
Chair, Graduate Program in Biology, 1992-7
Director, Marine Laboratory, 1997-2000
Faculty Load Committee, 1995
Graduate Council, 1992-8
Library Committee, 1993-5
Program Review Committee, 1994-6
Research Council, 1997-2000
Search Committees: Biology, 1994; Entomology, 1996; Associate Dean, College of Arts & Sciences, 1998
University Academic Affairs Committee, 1994-5
UOGML Dive Control Board, 1997-
- O'Loughlin, P. M.; Paulay, G.; VandenSpiegel, D.; Samyn, Y. New Holothuria species from Australia
(Echinodermata: Holothuroidea: Holothuriidae), with comments on the origin of deep and cool holothuriids.
Memoirs of Museum Victoria submitted
- Sala, E.; Smith. J. E.; Sandin, S. A.; DeMartini, E. E.; Dinsdale, E. A., Friedlander, A. F.; Malay, M.;
Maragos, J. E.; Obura, D.; Paulay, G.; Jackson, J. B. C.; Knowlton, N. Degradation of coral reef communities
across a gradient of human disturbance. Science submitted
- Paulay, G. 2007. Metopograpsus oceanicus (Crustacea: Brachyura) in Hawai'i and Guam: another marine invasive?
Pacific Science 61: 295-300.
- Paulay, G.; Meyer, C. 2006. Dispersal and divergence across the greatest ocean: Do larvae matter? Integrative
& Comparative Biology 46: 269-281.
- Meyer, C. P.; Paulay, G. 2005. DNA Barcoding: error rates based on comprehensive sampling. Public Library of
Science, Biology 3(12): e422.
- Meyer, C. P.; Geller, J. B.; Paulay, G. 2005 Fine scale endemism on coral reefs: archipelagic differentiation
in turbinid gastropods. Evolution 59: 113-125.
- Asami, R.; Yamada, T.; Iryu, Y.; Quinn, T. M.; Meyer, C. P.; Paulay, G. 2005. Interannual and decadal variability
of the western Pacific sea surface condition for the years 1787-2000: Reconstruction based on stable isotope record
from a Guam coral. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: No. C5, C05018, 10.1029/2004JC002555
- Asami R., Yamada T., Iryu Y., Meyer C. P., Quinn T.M., Paulay G. 2004. Carbon and oxygen isotopic composition of
a Guam coral and their relationships to environmental variables in the western Pacific. Palaeogeography,
Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 212: 1-22.
- Fukami, H.; Budd, A. F.; Paulay, G.; Solé-Cava, A.; Iwao, K.; Knowlton, N. 2004. Conventional taxonomy obscures
deep evolutionary divergence between Pacific and Atlantic corals. Nature 427: 832-835.
- Asakura, A.; Paulay, G. 2003. Pylopaguropsis lemaitrei, a new species of hermit crab (Decapoda: Anomura: Paguridae)
from French Polynesia. Crustacean Research 32: 13-25.
- Matsukuma, A., Paulay, G.; Hamada, N. 2003. Chama cerion n. sp. a new chamid bivalve (Mollusca) from Polynesia and
Melanesia. Venus 62: 19-27.
- Paulay, G. (ed.) 2003. The marine biodiversity of Guam and the Marianas. Micronesica 35-36: 1-682.
- Paulay, G. 2003. Marine biodiversity of Guam and the Marianas: overview. Micronesica 35-36: 3-25.
- Kelly, M.; Hooper, J.; Paul, V. J.; Paulay, G.; van Soest, R.; de Weerdt, W. 2003. Taxonomic inventory of the sponges
(Porifera) of Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Micronesica 35-36: 100-120.
- Paulay, G.; Puglisi, M., Starmer, J. 2003. The non-scleractinian Anthozoa (Cnidaria) of the Mariana Islands. Micronesica
- Newman, L.; Paulay, G.; Ritson-Williams, R. 2003. Checklist of polyclad flatworms (Platyhelminthes) from Micronesian
coral reefs. Micronesica 35-36: 189-199.
- Paulay, G. 2003. The Bivalvia (Mollusca) of Guam. Micronesica 35-36: 218-243.
- Paulay, G., Ross, A. 2003. An annotated check-list of the shallow water Cirripedia of Guam. Micronesica 35-36: 303-314.
- Paulay, G.; Kropp, R.; Ng, P.; Eldredge, L. 2003. The crustaceans and pycnogonids of the Mariana Islands. Micronesica
- Paulay, G. 2003. The Asteroidea, Echinoidea, and Holothuroidea (Echinodermata) of the Mariana Islands. Micronesica 35-36: 563-583.
- Paulay, G. 2003. Miscellaneous marine invertebrates and protists from the Mariana Islands. Micronesica 35-36: 676-682.
- Wallace, C.C.; Paulay, G.; Hoeksema, B.W.H.; Bellwood, D.R.; Hutchings, P.; Barber, P. ; Erdmann, M.; Wolstenholme, J.
2003. Nature and origins of unique high diversity reef faunas in the bay of Tomini, central Sulawesi: the ultimate
"centre of diversity". Proceedings of the 9th International Coral Reef Symposium 1:185-192
- Paulay, G., Meyer, C. 2002 Diversification in the tropical Pacific: comparisons between marine and terrestrial systems
and the importance of founder speciation. Integrative & Comparative Biology 42: 922-934
- Paulay, G.; Kirkendale, L. ; Lambert, G.; Meyer, C. 2002. Anthropogenic biotic interchange in a coral reef ecosystem:
a case study from Guam. Pacific Science 56: 403-422
- Paulay, G.; Kerr, A. 2001. Patterns of coral reef development in Tarawa Atoll (Kiribati). Bulletin of Marine Science 69: 1191-1207
- Paulay, G. 2001. Benthic ecology and biota of Tarawa Atoll lagoon: Influence of equatorial upwelling, circulation,
and human harvest. Atoll Research Bulletin 487: 1-38
- Tebano, T. ; Paulay, G. 2001. Variable recruitment and changing environments create a fluctuating resource: the
biology of Anadara (Bivalvia: Arcidae) on Tarawa Atoll. Atoll Research Bulletin 488: 1-15
- Lessios, H.A.; Kessing, B.D.; Robertson, D. R.; Paulay, G. 1999. Phylogeography of the pantropical sea urchin
Eucidaris in relation to land barriers and ocean currents. Evolution 53: 806-817.
- Paulay, G.; Benayahu, Y. 1999. Patterns and consequences of coral bleaching in Micronesia (Majuro and Guam) in 1992-1994.
- Paulay, G. 1997. Diversity and distribution of reef organisms. In: Birkeland, C. (ed.). Life and death of coral reefs.
Chapman & Hall, NY, pp. 298-353
- Paulay, G. 1997. Productivity plays a major role in determining atoll life and form: Tarawa, Kiribati. Proceedings of
the 8th International Coral Reef Symposium 1: 483-488
- Paulay, G. 1996. Dynamic clams: changes in the bivalve fauna of Pacific islands as a result of sea level fluctuations.
American Malacological Bulletin 12: 45-57
- Paulay, G. 1996. Circulating theories of coral biogeography. Journal of Biogeography 23: 279-282
- Paulay, G. 1996. New records and synonymies of Hawaiian bivalves. Bishop Museum Occasional Papers 45: 18-29
- Paulay, G. 1994. Biodiversity on oceanic islands: its origin and extinction. American Zoologist 34: 134-144
- Paulay, G., Holthuis, B. V. 1994. Biology and morphology of living Meiopriapulus fijiensis Morse (Priapulida).
In: Wilson, W. H. Jr., Stricker, S. A., Shinn, G. L. (eds.). Reproduction and Development of Marine Invertebrates.
The John Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore MD. pp. 158-165
- Paulay, G 1991. Late Cenozoic sea level fluctuations and the diversity and species composition of insular shallow
water marine faunas. In: E. C. Dudley (Ed) The Unity of Evolutionary Biology. The Proceedings of the Fourth International
Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology Dioscoroides, Portland, OR pp 184-193
- Paulay, G. 1991. Henderson Island: Biogeography and evolution at the edge of the Pacific plate. In: Dudley, E. C. (ed.)
The Unity of Evolutionary Biology, The Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary
Biology. Dioscoroides Press, Portland OR. pp. 304-313
- Paulay, G., McEdward, L. R. 1990. A simulation model of island reef morphology: the effects of sea level fluctuations,
growth, subsidence, and erosion. Coral Reefs 9: 51-62
- Paulay, G. 1990. Effects of late Cenozoic sea-level fluctuations on the bivalve faunas of tropical oceanic islands.
Paleobiology 16: 415-434
- Paulay, G. 1989. Marine invertebrates of the Pitcairn Islands: species composition and biogeography of corals,
molluscs, and echinoderms. Atoll Research Bulletin 326: 1-28
- Paulay, G., Spencer, T. 1989. Vegetation of Henderson Island. Atoll Research Bulletin 328: 1-19
- Fosberg, F.R., Paulay, G., Spencer, T., Oliver, R. 1989. New collections and notes on the plants of Henderson, Pitcairn,
Oeno and Ducie Islands. Atoll Research Bulletin 329: 1-18
- Spencer, T., Paulay G. 1989. Geology and geomorphology of Henderson Island. Atoll Research Bulletin 323: 1-50
- Paulay, G., Spencer, T. 1988. Geomorphology, palaeoenvironments, and faunal turnover, Henderson Island, S.E. Polynesia.
Proceedings of the 6th International Coral Reef Symposium 3: 461-466
- Paulay, G. 1987. Biology of Cook Islands' bivalves. Part I: heterodont families. Atoll Research Bulletin 298: 1-31
- Paulay, G., Boring, L. , Strathmann, R.R. 1985. Food limited growth and development of larvae: experiments with
natural sea water. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology & Ecology 93: 1-10
- Paulay, G. 1985. Adaptive radiation on an isolated oceanic island: the Cryptorhynchinae (Curculionidae) of Rapa
revisited. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 26: 95-187
- Paulay, G. 1985. The biogeography of the Cook Islands coral fauna. Proceedings of the 5th International Coral Reef
Symposium 4: 89-94
- Paulay, G.; Meyer, C. P. 2005. Dispersal and divergence across the greatest ocean: Do larvae matter?
Society for Integrative & Comparative Biology Abstract Volume p. 205
- Geller, J. B.; Meyer, C. P.; Paulay, G. 2004. Molecular phylogeography reveals fine scale endemism of the
Astralium rhodostoma complex on coral reefs. 10th International Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, Abstract Volume p. 44
- Paulay, G.; Meyer, C. P. 2004. Tempo and mode of diversification in the Indo-West Pacific. 10th International
Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, Abstract Volume p. 44
- Asami, R.; Yamada, T.; Iryu, Y.; Quinn, T. M.; Meyer, C. P.; Paulay, G. 2004. Interannual and decadal
variability of the western Pacific sea surface condition for the last two centuries: Reconstruction based on oxygen
isotope record from a Guam coral. 10th International Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, Abstract Volume p. 87
- Miwa, T.; Yamada, T.; Iryu, Y.; Paulay, G.2004. Southwestern Pacific sea surface temperature at 197 Ka inferred from
oxygen isotopic composition of a Niue coral. 10th International Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, Abstract Volume p. 269.
- Paulay, G.; Meyer, C. P.; Geller, J. B. 2004. Tempo and mode of diversification in the Indo-West Pacific. 70th Annual
Meeting, American Malacological Society, Sanibel, Florida, Abstract Volume p. 67
- Paulay, G. 2004. Invertebrate Zoology Lab Manual. Limited circulation within University of Florida. 118 pp.
- Birkeland, C. E.; Edward, A.; Golbuu, Y.; Gutierrez, J.; Idechong, N.; Maragos, J. E.; Paulay, G.; Richmond, R.;
Tafileichig, A.; Velde, N. V. 2002. The state of coral reefs in the Pacific freely associated states. In: Turgeon,
D. D.; Asch, R. G. (eds.) The state of coral reef ecosystems of the United States and Pacific Freely Associated States:
National Summary. NOAA, Washington DC. pp. 205-223.
- Amesbury, S.; Bonito, V. ; Chang, R. ; Kirkendale, L. ; Meyer, C. ; Paulay, G.; Ritson-Williams, R. ; Rongo, T. 2001.
Marine biodiversity resource survey and baseline reef monitoring survey of the Haputo Ecological Reserve Area,
COMNAVMARIANAS, Guam . Report and Interactive GIS Document prepared for US DOD, COMNAVMARIANAS. 111 pp. & CD-ROM
- Paulay, G.; Kirkendale, L. ; Meyer, C. ; Houk, P. ; Rongo, T. ; Chang, R. 2001. Marine biodiversity resource survey
and baseline reef monitoring survey of the Southern Orote Peninsula and North Agat Bay Area, COMNAVMARIANAS, Guam.
Report and Interactive GIS Document prepared for US DOD, COMNAVMARIANAS. 111 pp. & CD-ROM
- Paulay, G. 2001. Review of: Environmental Change in the Pacific Basin. Patrick D. Nunn. 1999. Quaternary Science
Reviews 20: 1374-1376
- Paulay, G. 2000. Review of: Reef Evolution. R. Wood. 1999. Reef Encounters 27: 32-33.
- Paulay, G.; Wallace, C.C. 2000. Local extinction of Acropora coral species on Niue Island (South Pacific) during
a regression caused by tectonic uplift. 9th International Coral Reef Symposium, Bali, Abstract Volume p. 58
- Meyer, C. ; Paulay, G. 2000. Indo-West Pacific diversity: phylogenetic evidence from cowries for a mosaic of
causes. 9th International Coral Reef Symposium, Bali, Abstract Volume p. 45
- Paulay, G.; Meyer, C. 2000. Biodiversity and endemism in the Indo-West Pacific reef fauna: how much and where?
9th International Coral Reef Symposium, Bali, Abstract Volume p. 223
- Paulay, G. 1998. Corals. In: Tiraa, A. and Smith, E. 1998. Environmental concerns in the Cook Islands.
Takitumu Conservation Project, Rarotonga, Cook Islands. pp. 31-33.
- Paulay, G.; Holthuis, B. V. 1998. High biodiversity and endemism of marine invertebrates on tropical Pacific islands.
American Zoologist 38:183A (abstract)
- Paulay, G.; Kirkendale, L. ; Lambert, G.; Starmer, J. 1997. The marine invertebrate biodiversity of Apra Harbor:
significant areas and introduced species, with focus on sponges, echinoderms and ascidians. Report prepared for US
Dept. of Defense, COMNAVMARIANAS. 109 pp.
- Koven, J. F., Paulay, G. 1997. Checklist of coral species Great Astrolabe Reef, Fiji. Marine Studies, University
of the South Pacific, Technical Report 97/6: 1-8
- Eldredge, L. G.; Paulay, G. 1996. Baseline biodiversity assessment of natural harbors at Guam and Hawaii. Report
for Insular Pacific Regional Marine Research Program 71pp.
- Paulay, G. 1995. Review of: A natural history of the Hawaiian Islands. Selected readings II. E.A. Kay, 1994.
Pacific Science Association Information Bulletin 47(1/2): 35-37
- Spencer, G., Paulay, G. 1994. Geomorphology, uplift and sea level history of Niue Island, Southwest Polynesia.
Proceedings of the 7th International Coral Reef Symposium 2: 1227 (abstract)
- Paulay, G. 1994. Stability of coral faunas through sea level cycles on Niue Island, Central Pacific Ocean.
Proceedings of the 7th International Coral Reef Symposium 2: 693 (abstract)
- Paulay, G. 1992. Trends in shellfish assemblages in the Mariana Islands. In: Moore, D. R.; Hunter-Anderson,
R. L.; Amesbury, J. R.; Wells, E. F. Archaeology at Chalan Piao Saipan. Micronesian Archaeological Research
Services. pp. 141-144
- Paulay, G. 1992. Comment on: Galapágos Islands: A Holocene analogue to the Wallowa accreted terrane,
western North America. Geology 20: 863
- Mace, P. M., Paulay, G. 1992. Biological diversity and its decline: teaching aids. Overhead transparencies
& text, distributed by the American Society of Zoologists, 29pp.
- Paulay, G., Spencer, T. 1992. Niue Island: geologic and faunistic history of a Pliocene atoll. Pacific Science
Association Information Bulletin 44(3-4): 21-23.
- Holthuis, B. V., Paulay, G. 1991. Review of: Invertebrates. R.C. Brusca & G.J. Brusca. 1990. American Scientist
- Paulay, G., Kohn, A.J. 1991. Changes in species composition between successive high sea stand faunas: the
biogeographic effects of regressions on Central Pacific molluscs. Geological Society of America, Abstracts with
Programs, Cordilleran Section 23(2): 88 (abstract)
- Paulay, G. 1991. A model for calculating rates of species divergence on oceanic islands. In: The Proceedings
of the Fourth International Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology, abstract volume (not paginated).
- Spencer, T., Paulay, G., Grün, R. 1989. Geology and geomorphology of Henderson Island, S.E. Pacific. In:
Thomassin, B.A. (ed.) Biology and geology of Quaternary and Tertiary coral reefs. 1989 Annual Meeting of
International Society for Reef Studies, Marseille, Abstracts. pp. 149-150
- Paulay, G. 1989. Effects of glacio-eustatic sea level fluctuations on insular coral faunas. American Zoologist
29: 90A (abstract)
- Paulay, G. 1989. Biological Communities in Leone Bay. Part III: pp. 47-68 and Marine Resources: Construction
related impacts. Part IV: pp. 82-90. In: Future directions for Leone Village, American Samoa, an analysis of
two choices. Prepared for the Environmental Quality Commission, Territory of American Samoa by Energy Resources
- Paulay, G. 1988. Review of: Origins and relationships of lower invertebrates. S. Conway Morris, J.D. George, R.
Gibson & H.M. Platt (eds.). 1985. American Scientist 76: 70-71
- Paulay, G. 1987. Bivalves of Fiji and Southeastern Polynesia. Fiji Shell Club Annual Magazine 1987: 20
- Paulay, G., Kohn, A. J. 1986. Review of: Corals and coral reefs of the Galapagos Islands. P.W. Glynn & G.M.
Wellington. 1983. Limnology & Oceanography 31: 235-236
- Paulay, G. 1985. Molluscs and sealevels: the bivalve fauna of the Cook Islands. Hawaiian Shell News 33(8): 3
- Paulay, G. 1985. On Fijian bivalves. Fiji Shell Club Annual Magazine 1985: 11-20
- Paulay, G. 1985. Review of: Biogeography of the Tropical Pacific. Eds.: F.J. Radovsky, P.H. Raven & S.H. Sohmer.
1984. American Scientist 73: 586
- Paulay, G. 1985. Speciation rates in the Hawaiian terrestrial fauna. American Zoologist 25: 43A (abstract)
- Paulay, G. 1984. Larval washoff: eulimid infestation rates around an oceanic island. American Malacalogical
Bulletin 2: 83 (abstract)
- Kohn, A. J., Paulay, G. 1983. Review of: Endodontoid land snails from Pacific Islands (Mollusca: Pulmonata:
Sigmurethra) Part II. A. Solem. 1982. Systematic Zoology 32: 465-467
- Paulay, G. 1982. Rapa Island and its weevils. Discovery 16: 24-31
Updated: 30 July, 2007