Main identification features
- head - 5 bars
- body: strong bars
- midline - row dark spots
- no head barbels
- genital papilla notched
Head almost round; mouth oblique; snout blunt, slopes abruptly down at front; narrow between eyes (<1/2 eye diameter); no barbels under chin or under front nostril; preopercle with 2-3 pores; dorsal fin VII spines (1st 2 elongate in male); 10-11 (usually 11) dorsal rays; 9-10 (usually 10) anal rays; 16-18 (usually 17) pectoral rays; pelvics fused in disc; genital papilla broad, 2-lobed in male, notched & fringed in female; body completely scaled behind a line under of center of soft dorsal, with a triangular extension of scales forwards along midflank under pectoral to its base; scales in 25-28 longitudinal rows; 4-6 large very rough scales on base of tail fin.
Light brown; ~6 forward-sloping wide dark bars on body, with narrow dark bars in between, centers of bars with series of longitudinal dashes along midside; head with a dark bar from eye down, an oblique, forward-pointing bar behind eye, another on preopercle, and 2 more on operculum; pectoral base with short bar, a spot at top & bottom bases of pectoral fin, joined by a narrow row of pigment; fins dusky, pelvics darker in males; dorsal & anal with 1-2 stripes along entire midline; tail with faint wavy bars in female.
Size: 4.6 cm.
Habitat: fresh and brackish water?.
Depth: 0-6 m.
Known from both Atlantic & Pacific entrances to Panama Canal; its origin is unclear.
Cites: Not listed.
Climate Zone: Equatorial (Costa Rica to Ecuador + Galapagos, Clipperton, Cocos, Malpelo).
Depth Range Max: 6 m.
Depth Range Min: 0 m.
Diet: mobile benthic worms; mobile benthic crustacea (shrimps/crabs); mobile benthic gastropods/bivalves.
Eastern Pacific Range: Northern limit=9; Southern limit=9; Western limit=-80; Eastern limit=-79; Latitudinal range=1; Longitudinal range=1.
Egg Type: Benthic; Pelagic larva.
Feeding Group: Carnivore.
FishBase Habitat: Demersal.
Global Endemism: Tropical Eastern Pacific (TEP) endemic; East Pacific endemic; All species.
Habitat: Sand & gravel; Soft bottom (mud, sand,gravel, beach, estuary & mangrove); Soft bottom only; Freshwater.
Inshore Offshore: Inshore; Inshore Only.
IUCN Red List: Not evaluated / Listed.
Length Max: 4.6 cm.
Regional Endemism: Continent; Continent only; TEP endemic; Continental TEP endemic; Panamic province endemic; All species.
Salinity: Brackish; Freshwater; Non Marine.
Water Column Position: Bottom; Bottom only;
Links to other sites|
- Briggs, J.C., 1951., A review of the clingfishes (Gobiesocidae) of the Eastern Pacific with descriptions of new species., Proceedings of the California Zoological Club, 1:57-108.
- B÷hlke , J.E and Robins, C.R., 1968., Western Atlantic seven-spined gobies, with descriptions of ten new species and a new genus, and comments on Pacific relatives., Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Phila., 120(3):45-174.
- Eigenmann, C.H., 1917., Eighteen new species of fishes from northwestern South America., Proc. Amer. Phil. Soc., 56:673-689.
- Fischer , W. , Krup , F. , Schneider , W. , Sommer , C. , Carpenter , K. E. and Niem, V. H., 1995., Guia FAO para la Identificacion de Especies de para los fines de la Pesca. Pacifico Centro-Oriental. Volumen II. Vertebrados - Parte 1., FAO2:647-1200.
- Ginsburg, I., 1939., Twenty-one new American gobies., J. Wash. Acad.Sci., 29(2):51-63.
- Hoese, D.F., 1971., A revision of the eastern Pacific species of the gobiid fish genus Gobiosoma, with a discussion of the relationships of the genus. Ph.D. diss. Univ. California, San Diego., University of California:213pp.
- Lopez , M. I. and Bussing, W. A., 1982., Lista provisional de los peces marinos de la Costa Rica., Revista de Biologia Tropical, 30(1):5-26.
- McCosker , J. E. and Dawson, C. E., 1975., Biotic passage through the Panama Canal, with particular reference to fishes., Marine Biology, 30:343-351.
I thank Ashley MacDonald and John Pickering, University of Georgia, for technical support in building this page.
Top | See original
Following modified from FishBase
|&pull 20q v5.145 20180528: Error 301 Moved Permanently http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?genusname=Gobiosoma&speciesname=hildebrandi|
Updated: 2021-12-02 20:14:30 gmt